Date:	Mon, 14 May 2007 04:05:00 -0700
From:	William Lee Irwin III <wli@...omorphy.com>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Srivatsa Vaddagiri <vatsa@...ibm.com>, efault@....de,
	tingy@...umass.edu, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: fair clock use in CFS

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 12:31:20PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> please clarify - exactly what is a mistake? Thanks,

The variability in ->fair_clock advancement rate was the mistake, at
least according to my way of thinking. The queue's virtual time clock
effectively stops under sufficiently high load, possibly literally in
the event of fixpoint underflow. The waiting time is impossible to
scale properly in the presence of a variable time rate (at least under
the memory allocation constraints of a scheduler), and the deadlines
computed as offsets from ->fair_clock come out clustered.

Basically it needs to move closer to EEVDF in these respects.

This detail sailed right past me when it went in; sorry about that.

-- wli