Date:	Wed, 16 May 2007 13:05:19 +0200
From:	Tejun Heo <htejun@...il.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
CC:	Clemens Schwaighofer <cs@...uila.co.jp>,
	Maneesh Soni <maneesh@...ibm.com>,
	Dipankar Sarma <dipankar@...ibm.com>, Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Subject: Re: Oops and Panics in 2.6.21.1, 2.6.20.6 and 2.6.19.2

Hello,

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 09:24:54 +0900 Clemens Schwaighofer <cs@...uila.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> I have re-occurring oopses and panics in those above kernels. The error
>> is always the same. I have the last Kernel Panic as a picture here:
>>
>> http://dev.tequila.jp/clemens/R0010172.JPG
>>
>> The oops have the same error style like this Panic. I tried to capture
>> one, but right after copying it into vim, I got a Panic. So next time I
>> try to.
>>
>> I think it started with 2.6.19.2, I cannot remember I had any of those
>> problems before. The box can work fine for about a week or more, or it
>> looks up several times a day. I run a memtest for 10 h, but I had no errors.
>
> shrink_dcache_memory->...sysfs_d_iput->BUG
>
>                 BUG_ON(sd->s_dentry != dentry);
>
> a number of people have hit that, on and off.

Yeah, I've been seeing that one.  It should have been fixed with the big
fat patchset.

> We were close to having a fix, I think, but then we decided that great
> chunks of sysfs needed rewriting and I believe that we believe that this
> great rewrite will fix this bug.

How were we gonna fix it?  If it isn't too complex, I can cook up a
patch for -stable series.  The safest approach I can think of is making
dentries for attributes unreclaimable but those are made reclaimable for
good reasons.  :-(

Thanks.

--
tejun