Date:	Thu, 17 May 2007 05:26:56 -0700
From:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>
To:	sk b <skb300@...mail.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: user pointers and race conditions

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 22:56 -0600, sk b wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering whether there is an exploitable TOCTTOU race condition in the way user pointers are handled in the kernel. Consider the following code:
>
> 1: struct st { int *u; };
> 2: void syscall(struct st * stp) {
> 3:        if (!access_ok(VERIFY_READ,stp,sizeof(struct st)))
> 4:                return;
> 5:        if (!access_ok(VERIFY_WRITE,stp->u,sizeof(int)))
> 6:                return;

this line is invalid; you are not allowed to dereference userspace
memory directly. You need to call copy_from_user() on stp first, and
then use the copy.
> 7:        foo();   //user app writes a kernel address to stp->u
> 8:        *(stp->u) = 0;
> 9:}
>
> Suppose syscall is some system call and, thus, stp and stp->u are user pointers. The function checks the stp and stp->u pointers using the access_ok macro on lines 3 and 5. Also suppose that the call to foo on line 7  takes a non-trivial amount of time to execute. During the time it takes foo to execute, the user application writes a kernel address to stp->u. Note that this write occurs after the check on line 5. Then, on line 8, the kernel writes to stp->u which contains a kernel address. So, the user application could force the kernel to overwrite itself. Is it possible to exploit this race condition? If so, does Sparse check for this?
>
> -SKB
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org