Date:	Wed, 23 May 2007 10:57:47 +0200
From:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
To:	Matt Mackall <mpm@...enic.com>
Cc:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.21-mm2: ACPI exception on resume

On Wednesday, 23 May 2007 03:48, Matt Mackall wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:19:43PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > > Really, I'd much prefer my kernel not regress instead. Updating
> > > firmware is just introducing more potential instability and ignoring
> > > the problem.
> >
> > We can't very much know if the kernel is really buggy, then.
>
> Whether the 'bug' is in the firmware or the kernel, it is the kernel
> that has regressed. Suspend worked fine for 2+ years before this.
>
> Breaking working systems, either software or hardware, is a bad idea.
> I shouldn't have to upgrade my BIOS to work with a new kernel any more
> than I should have to upgrade my browser.

While I agree with that, it would really be helpful if you tested the latest -rc
kernel and saw if the bug was present in there.

If the bug is not present in the latest -rc, it'll be possible to identify the
patch that causes it to appear in -mm and find the reason of the breakage.

Greetings,
Rafael