Date:	Wed, 23 May 2007 09:16:01 -0700
From:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	"Nitin Gupta" <nitingupta910@...il.com>
Cc:	"Michael-Luke Jones" <mlj28@....ac.uk>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Richard Purdie" <richard@...nedhand.com>, linux-mm-cc@...top.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] LZO de/compression support - take 3

On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:51:44 +0530 "Nitin Gupta" <nitingupta910@...il.com> wrote:

> > > Or perhaps make reiserfs use _safe() instead - I think Richard has
> > > already submitted patch for same.
> >
> > If someone's already made this mistake once, then it'll happen again.
> > In-kernel memory corruption is no fun.
> >
> > Safe/Secure == Default
>
> If I rename 'nonsafe' version as such then it will seem like its a
> 'broken' implementation which is not the case. If somebody is upto
> including compression he must be having head to use the right
> decompress version depending on this scenario :-)

<wakes up>

What's "unsafe" here?  If you fed it bad data, the decompressor will
scribble on memory or crash the kernel or hang up?

If so, it was quite inappropriate that a filesystem be using the unsafe
version.

I'd agree with the proposed renaming.  In fact I'd suggest that the unsafe
APIs just be removed - it's hard to imagine a situation in which they're OK
to be used in the kernel.