Date:	Wed, 23 May 2007 19:07:03 +0200
From:	Nico Golde <nico@...lde.de>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: maximum count of thermal zones and fans in acpi?

Hi,
I am currently implementing a general purpose shared library
for acpi focused on all the tools giving acpi information
like battery, thermal zones, fans, etc.

Since I was not able to find anything about it in the acpi
specs[0] (of course I didn't read every single page though)
and with a quick look into the kernel sources I wondered if
there is a maximum count for thermal zones and fans in the
acpi implementation of the kernel.

Every acpi module just calls proc_mkdir for example:
       acpi_device_dir(device) = proc_mkdir(acpi_device_bid(device),
                                            acpi_thermal_dir);

struct proc_dir_entry *proc_mkdir_mode(const char *name, mode_t mode,
                struct proc_dir_entry *parent)
{
        struct proc_dir_entry *ent;

        ent = proc_create(&parent, name, S_IFDIR | mode, 2);
        if (ent) {
                ent->proc_fops = &proc_dir_operations;
                ent->proc_iops = &proc_dir_inode_operations;

                if (proc_register(parent, ent) < 0) {
                        kfree(ent);
                        ent = NULL;
                }
        }
        return ent;
}

struct proc_dir_entry *proc_mkdir(const char *name,
                struct proc_dir_entry *parent)
{
        return proc_mkdir_mode(name, S_IRUGO | S_IXUGO, parent);
}

So is there no check for any max item count here?

I ask because I need to decide whether I want to allocate space for every
acpi object or to use a fixed size array for them depending on the maximum
item (where item is one device) count.

[0]: http://www.acpi.info/spec.htm

Kind regards
Nico