Date:	Thu, 24 May 2007 08:23:32 +1000 (EST)
From:	Srihari Vijayaraghavan <sriharivijayaraghavan@...oo.com.au>
To:	Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com>
Cc:	Hugh Dickins <hugh@...itas.com>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Oliver Xymoron <oxymoron@...te.org>,
	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [PROBLEM] 2.6.22-rc2 panics on x86-64 with slub

--- Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Srihari Vijayaraghavan wrote:
>
> > I'm personally very happy that slub works stably without slub debug
> options,
> > because that's what I'd run in a production env. Thanks to your patch,
> slub is
> > quite stable without the slub debug for me :-)). But it'd to nice to have
> > working slub debug for test env., as you'd undoubtedly be aware of, of
> course
> > :-). Just my humble opinion.
>
> Just switching off lockdep should make you happy until we figure out what
> is wrong?

I'm very happy :-). No problems.

Has something important been merged in the last day or so to mainstream
(http://www.kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6 starting hg commit 57110:0a8a879062a0)?

On 57199:239bf3811cb2 with CONFIG_LOCKDEP, CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING & cousins with
CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG without slub_nomerge even, I'm unable to reproduce the panic
now. My current .config is attached as config-2.6.22-rc2-hg-slub.txt

I'm stunned. Honestly, I have no possible explanations for this behaviour. Do
you? I need more time to work out (until otherwise you might know a reason).

(Perhaps, when I introduced a few debug options in the kernel hacking section,
I inadvertently introduced a timing issue that now masks the panic away. Just
my hypothesis.)

A few things did happen in the last 24 hours time):
1. I pulled 90 changesets from the linux-2.6 hg repo. Easy to rollback.
2. I did a yum update on my Fedora 7 test system (I don't believe it pulled
anything important in ref to this problem). Not so easy to rollback.
3. Adding a few extra debug options in the "kernel hacking" section. Easy to
rollback also.

I need more time (something I really don't have, but it's my karma for kernel
community) to eliminate the things. I'll now stop updating everything so not
to introduce any new variables.)

Oh, while at it, I created this patch (to ask you more info on what
slub_nomerge is for):

I'm also attaching my current working .config

Thanks