Date:	Wed, 23 May 2007 21:28:26 -0300
From:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>
To:	Ray Lee <ray-lk@...rabbit.org>
Cc:	Matt Mackall <mpm@...enic.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, akpm@...ux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.21-mm2: ACPI exception on resume

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Ray Lee wrote:
> The problem is when the maintainers/submitters get the wrong
> impression, that 2.6.x.y is there to clean up the mess they made. The

Now, that I agree with completely.

> Which is the crux of my problem with your statement. I feel we
> shouldn't give the wrong idea to those authors. They need to know that
> the expectation is that 2.6.x is a stable series, and 2.6.x.y is for
> dealing with unavoidable mistakes.

Well, the only case where I feel a regression is justified is one where it
is caused by a bug in the firmware or the hardware.

At which point my personal opinion is that users of firmware/hardware *that
have a fix available* are to be told to apply the fix, unless the problem is
so serious that it could potentially cause extreme damage (loss of human
life, permanent hardware damage, major data loss).

If there is no fix the user can apply, then it really depends on how
damaging it is to work around the issue for others: you don't punish those
who have non-broken stuff to avoid problems for those that have broken
stuff.

Fortunately, most of the time one can come up with a fix that causes little
to no loss to those with non-broken hardware/firmware.

  Henrique Holschuh