Date:	Sat, 26 May 2007 12:23:30 -0400
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	Jonathan Woithe <jwoithe@...sics.adelaide.edu.au>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.21.1 on Fedora Core 6 breaks LVM/vgscan

Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> On 21 May 2007 I wrote:
>
>> Attempting to compile a 2.6.21.1 kernel for use on a Fedora Core 6 box
>> results in a panic at boot because the root filesystem can't be found.
>
> I have just compiled 2.6.22-rc2 with the configuration file given in my
> concerned.  Whatever broke LVM for this machine in between 2.6.18 and
> 2.6.21.1 has now been fixed.

I haven't had any problem booting with any of the kernels, but when I
try to build a kernel with a Fedora config from /boot, it builds fine
but doesn't boot after install. I started by building a very basic
kernel for testing, and then started adding features to get everything I
need. But just using the latest FC6 config file gets me a kernel which
fails in just the way you mention.

> There is still a problem with the CDROM but I will follow up in another
> thread about that.

Happy to say I don't see that, I'm using PATA optical devices, and USB
on some machines, both work. I can't get scanning to work even after
buying a "supported" scanner, so I may have to go back to Slackware and
a 2.4 kernel on one machine, but boot and run does fine.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>