Date:	Wed, 30 May 2007 11:30:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Geller Sandor <wildy@...ra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: HPT374 IDE problem with 2.6.21.* kernels

Hi,

I saw a similar report yesterday with '2.6.21.1 - 97% wait time on IDE
operations' subject.

After upgrading from 2.6.20.7 kernel to 2.6.21.1 my system started to
reset infrequenly the IDE bus. In the syslog DMA timeout, resetting IDE
bus messages appeared. I've changed the two disks attached to the HPT374
controller, and always the first disk had problems. I've replaced cables,
plugged the disks into other IDE ports, but it was only a matter of time
to experience an IDE reset. When I upgraded to 2.6.21.3 the resets became
much more frequent, this time even DMA was disabled too on the first disk.
I turned DMA back Manually with hdparm, and a few seconds of intense IO
activity resulted in another IDE reset.

Reverting back to 2.6.20.12 the problem seems to be gone. BTW I'm using
the PATA driver for the HTP374, not the libata one.

Is this a known problem/ is there a way I can help locating the cause of
the problem?

Regards,

   Geller Sandor <wildy@...ra.hos.u-szeged.hu>