Date:	Wed, 30 May 2007 12:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Mark Lord <lkml@....ca>
cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	Zach Brown <zach.brown@...cle.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@....com.au>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Ulrich Drepper <drepper@...hat.com>,
	Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@....mipt.ru>,
	Suparna Bhattacharya <suparna@...ibm.com>,
	Davide Libenzi <davidel@...ilserver.org>,
	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: Syslets, Threadlets, generic AIO support, v6

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Mark Lord wrote:

> I wonder how useful it would be to reimplement sendfile()
> using splice(), either in glibc or inside the kernel itself?

I'd like that, if only because right now we have two separate paths that
kind of do the same thing, and splice really is the only one that is
generic.

I thought Jens even had some experimental patches for it. It might be
worth to "just do it" - there's some internal overhead, but on the other
hand, it's also likely the best way to make sure any issues get sorted
out.

		Linus