Date:	Sat, 02 Jun 2007 22:53:14 +0100
From:	David Greaves <david@...eaves.com>
To:	Tejun Heo <htejun@...il.com>
Cc:	"'linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org'" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	IDE Linux <linux-ide@...r.kernel.org>,
	ballen@...vity.phys.uwm.edu
Subject: Re: 2.6.22-rc3 hibernate(?) disables SMART on ide

Tejun Heo wrote:
> David Greaves wrote:
>> I have 2 ide disks. If I enable SMART and hibernate/suspend2disk, SMART is
>> disabled when I resume.
>>
>> Same as in 2.6.21.1
>
> According to the ATA standard, the device (drive) itself is responsible
> for preserving SMART enabled status over power cycles.  It seems your
> drive doesn't wanna do that.  I don't think mangling with SMART setup in
> the kernel is wise thing to do.  Bruce, any ideas?  Maybe hook smartd
> such that it gets suspend/resume events?

Sorry, FYI, I made the same mistake as when I reported the wol problem - I was
booting 2.6.21.1.

I am having problems with 2.6.22-rc3 but when it does suspend/resume I can
confirm that the problem is still there (of course).

However your comments still stand.

One unpleasant side effect is that I get

hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: 0xb0
hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: 0xb0
and
hdb: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: 0xb0
hdb: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: 0xb0

when the system comes back (induced from smartd I guess) until I do a:
 smartctl -son

David