Date:	Wed, 6 Jun 2007 21:53:08 +0200
From:	Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>
To:	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>
Cc:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>,
	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ux01.gwdg.de>,
	Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla@....de>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Jaroslav Kysela <perex@...e.cz>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: BUG in 2.6.22-rc2-mm1: Parts of Alsa sound architecture broken

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:36:48PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05 2007, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Well, *I* (previously) submitted patches with  "default y", but Jens
> > > Axboe [http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/12/164] disagreed heavily enough to
> > > stop that practice.
> >
> > Hm, I guess Jens didn't know about this side-effect.
> >
> > When I don't set "default y", I'll be asked for each belonging item
> > even though I chose "y" manually for the top config
> > (CONFIG_*_DRIVERS).
> >
> > Strangely, setting "default y" has no this effect...
>
> That sounds like a bug in the kconfig system. I still think default y is
> an *awful* idea, but you can read why in the thread referenced above.
It is the functionality of "default y" that is not understood.

Take the following simple Kconfig file:

config FOO
	bool "FOO"
	default y

config BAR
	bool "BAR"

What would you expect when you execute "make oldconfig"?
You would expect to be questioned about both symbols and pressing enter
would give you the following config:
CONFIG_FOO=y
#CONFIG_BAR is not set

So "default y" in the oldconfig case where we add a symbol gives the
default value if you just press enter.

If you use "make menuconfig" and just enter menuconfig and exit and save
you will end up with exact same configuration as above because menuconfig
will select default values for all new symbols.

In other words "default y" has no impact on what oldconfig asks about,
only what value will be assigned if user decide not to change the value.
And this is exactly what it is supposed to do and no magic "do not ask user"
thing. That can be solved by having correct dependencies so if the
dependencies are not solved one will not be asked.

	Sam