Date:	Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:50:15 -0700
From:	Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@...cle.com>
To:	Robert de Rooy <robert.de.rooy@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, greg@...ah.com
Subject: Re: ThinkPad T41 - Strange USB 2.0 behaviour

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 10:23:19PM +0200, Robert de Rooy wrote:
> On my ThinkPad T41 USB 2.0 behaves strange. Most USB 2.0 devices, refuse
> to function as such. Under Windows I get a message that I should plug
> the device into a USB 2.0 port (but it continues to function as USB
> 1.1), while under Linux I need to manually unload ehci-hcd before I can
> access the device.
>
> The strange thing is that these USB 2.0 devices used to work just fine,
> and still do on other machines. In addition I have one USB 2.0 memory
> key that still works fine (both under Windows and Linux).
>
> Now to be honest, I think this is a hardware problem, as I have had
> another T41p before that also suddenly no longer liked USB 2.0 devices,
> and if you search with Google you find other ThinkPad T41 users
> complaining about similar behaviour.

	Hardware problem.  You need a new system board.  I had this
problem on my T41, devices would sometimes work, sometimes not
(depending on the reboot).  If I plugged in a USB 1.1 hub, then pluged
the memory reader into the hub, it would always work at 1.1 speeds.
	New system board, USB 2.0 works just fine.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #274

	"Leave everything a little better than you found it."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker@...cle.com