Date:	Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:54:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:	James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>
To:	Toshiharu Harada <haradats@...il.com>
cc:	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	Stephen Smalley <sds@...ho.nsa.gov>,
	Toshiharu Harada <haradats@...data.co.jp>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] TOMOYO Linux

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Toshiharu Harada wrote:

> TOMOYO Linux has a mode called "learning"
> in addition to "permissive" and "enforce". You can easily
> get the TOMOYO Linux policy with learning mode that
> SELinux does not have.

Blindly generating security policy through observation of the system is
potentially dangerous for many reasons.

See
<http://securityblog.org/brindle/2006/03/25/security-anti-pattern-status-quo-encapsulation/>

Note that while SELinux does also have a similar capability with the
audit2allow tool, it should be considered an expert tool, the output of
which needs to be understood before use (as noted in its man page).

> In addition, access control mode of
> TOMOYO Linux can be managed for every difference domain.

We have considered per-domain enforcing mode a couple of times in the
past, but figured that it could be implemented via policy alone (e.g. run
the task in a domain where all accesses are allowed and logged); and it
would also be of limited usefulness because of the aforementioned problems
with learning mode security policy.

- James
--
James Morris