Date:	Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:29:28 -0400
From:	Florin Malita <fmalita@...il.com>
To:	Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@...hat.com>
CC:	Daniel Hazelton <dhazelton@...er.net>,
	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>, Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	debian developer <debiandev@...il.com>, david@...g.hm,
	Tarkan Erimer <tarkan@...one.net.tr>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, mingo@...e.hu
Subject: Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3

On 06/14/2007 02:27 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> No, by this twisted logic Tivo *cannot* modify that particular copy
>> any more than you can. They can modify *another* copy (just like you)
>> and they can *replace* the copy in your device with the new version
>> (unlike you).
>>

> Again, replacing is one form of modification.

No, it's not: replacing does not create derivative work. Modification does.

You've chosen to attach a physical dimension to "program copy" and I'm
arguing that even under this distorted line of reasoning you can't
support your position:

> The customer gets the copy that TiVO stored in the hard disk in
> the device it sells.  And it's that copy that the customer is entitled
> to modify because TiVO is still able to modify it.

* Tivo takes public sources, modifies them and builds a brand new blob
* Tivo installs this new copy on the device, most likely side-by-side
with the old one - notice how the new copy is derived from public
sources and has absolutely nothing to do with the old version (heck, it
can be a totally different kernel for what it's worth)
* Tivo deletes the old copy from the device

It seems pretty obvious that the only right Tivo is withholding is the
right to install new versions on the device - they never do (and really
never could) "modify" the physical copy on your device (which is your
main argument).

> What do you think you do when you save a modified source file in your
> editor?

Don't skip the part where the in-memory version started as an exact copy
of the original being replaced. Notice the difference? ;)

---
fm