Date:	Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:21:01 -0400
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	Paul Clements <paul.clements@...eleye.com>
CC:	Mike Snitzer <snitzer@...il.com>, Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>,
	linux-raid@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	nbd-general@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
Subject: Re: raid1 with nbd member hangs MD on SLES10 and RHEL5

Paul Clements wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Second, AFAIK nbd hasn't working in a while. I haven't tried it in
>> ages, but was told it wouldn't work with smp and I kind of lost
>> interest. If Neil thinks it should work in 2.6.21 or later I'll test
>> it, since I have a machine which wants a fresh install soon, and is
>> both backed up and available.
>
> Please stop this. nbd is working perfectly fine, AFAIK. I use it every
> day, and so do 100s of our customers. What exactly is it that not's
> working? If there's a problem, please send the bug report.
Could you clarify what kernel, distribution, and mdadm version is used,
and how often the nbd server becomes unavailable to the clients? And
your clients are SMP? By "working perfectly fine," I assume you do mean
in the same way as described in the original posting, and not just with
the client, server, and network all fully functional.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@....com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc