Date:	Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:38:15 +0600
From:	"Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov@....usu.ru>
To:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...putergmbh.de>
Cc:	Christian Schmidt <lkml@...add.de>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Help needed: Partitioned software raid > 2TB

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Jun 15 2007 16:03, Christian Schmidt wrote:

>> Thanks for the clarification. I didn't use LVM on the device on purpose,
>> as root on LVM requires initrd (which I strongly dislike as
>> yet-another-point-of-failure). As LVM is on the large partition anyway
>> I'll just add the second partition for now, and change the system setup
>> with the next drive migration. Maybe linux even supports root-on-lvm
>> natively until then ;)
>
> Uh, it does. By means of initrd/ramfs image. Blame your distro if it still
> can't do root-on-LVM, there is at least one who can.

AFAIK, root-on-LVM on the whole disk (BTW, I use such setup myself) requires
LILO, doesn't it? Could you please list a few distributions with an easy
method to install LILO (and, of course, root and /boot on LVM on whole disk)
from their default installation media? So far, I only know that Debian can
do it if you run debootstrap by hand, although they say that such setup is a
bug (http://bugs.debian.org/401393).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov