Date:	Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:01:52 +0200
From:	"Michael Kerrisk" <mtk-manpages@....net>
To:	7eggert@....de, torvalds@...ux-foundation.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: man-pages-2.57 is released

> Michael Kerrisk <mtk-manpages@....net> wrote:
>
> > ./man2/ioperm.2
> >      FIXME is the following ("Only the first 0x3ff I/O ports can be
> >      specified in this manner") still true?  Looking at changes in
> >      include/asm-i386/processor.h between 2.4 and 2.6 suggests
> >      that the limit is different in 2.6.
>
> You now have the full 64Kb port bitmap (8 KB).
> BTW1: linux/arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c still states having 8K of
> bitmaps to
> be excessive (and implicitely and now wrongly as not being done). Since
> there should only be few processes requiring iopl, the 8K should not be
> excessive. We need a native speaker to change this text, at least not me
> right now.

If someone can come up with a technical description of what
should should go in the man page, I'm happy to fix the English.

> CC Linus, because he admitted fiddeling with this file. (No MAINTAINER
> found)
>

> BTW2: My (possibly outdated) iopl manpage states that you'll need to be
> root
> change the iopl, but you only need CAP_SYS_RAWIO in order to increase the
> iopl.

The current page includes this text under ERRORS

       EPERM  The  calling process has insufficient privilege to
              call  iopl();  the  CAP_SYS_RAWIO  capability   is
              required.

Cheers,

Michael
--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance?
Grab the latest tarball at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages ,
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source
files for 'FIXME'.