Date:	Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:21:37 -0400
From:	Mike Frysinger <vapier@...too.org>
To:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
Cc:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-s390@...r.kernel.org, rmk@....linux.org.uk
Subject: Re: [patch] use __asm__ and __volatile__ in i386/arm/s390 byteorder.h

On Monday 18 June 2007, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 01:24:24AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > >
> > > hmm but the kernel doesn't use -std=c99...
> >
> > The byteorder headers are exported to user space through
> > include/asm-generic/Kbuild.asm, and they are used by a number
> > of other exported headers, so they should work with any
> > gcc flags that a user might want to use.
>
> No, they should not be exported and the headers using them
> should be fixed to not require this.  Userspace has it's own
> endianess handling already.

user applications arent pulling these things in themselves ... you have to
also think of the cascading of header includes ... asm/byteorder.h gets
pulled in by many other things

if we want to scrub the userspace headers so that asm/byteorder.h isnt even
installed, that works for me as well, however i wouldnt discount the patch i
proposed on this alone ... the headers are inconsistent between using asm and
__asm__ and if anything, my patch makes them consistent
-mike

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (828 bytes)