Date:	Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@...hat.com>
cc:	Al Viro <viro@....linux.org.uk>,
	Bernd Schmidt <bernds_cb1@...nline.de>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Daniel Hazelton <dhazelton@...er.net>,
	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	debian developer <debiandev@...il.com>, david@...g.hm,
	Tarkan Erimer <tarkan@...one.net.tr>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>  a) I don't personally feel like I have the "moral authority" to require
>     hardware designers to give access to their hardware to me.
>
>     I can tell them that I *like* open hardware more than closed hardware,
>     but they designed the hardware, and as a result I think it's *their*
>     choice.
>
>     In contrast, I _do_ think I have the moral authority to ask for
>     modifications to the _software_ back. Because they didn't design it,
>     they just improved on it.

Btw, this may explain the differences between rms/FSF and me.

Richard Stallman is out to "improve the world". He thinks he has not just
the moral authority and right, but the _obligation_ to tell others how to
live their lives.

So rms feels he has to "spread his message", the same way those annoying
people come to your door on Saturday in order to "save you". rms literally
is saving you from a sin.

Me, not so much. I'm not out to "improve the world". I'm not saving you
from any sin. I just have this project I started, and I think that if you
improve on the project, you should let me use your improvements.

And I don't ask you use that license anywhere else. For your other
projects, you should follow *their* licenses. I'm just asking you to honor
my choice of license for those projects I started, and I designed, and
where I conned other people into helping me under the same rules.

				Linus