Date:	Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:02:05 +0200
From:	John Sigler <linux.kernel@...e.fr>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
CC:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Subject: Selective system profiling

Hello everyone,

Here's my situation:

I'm pushing data in chunks of 1316 bytes to a PCI device at 38 Mbit/s.
In other words, I write 1316 bytes to the device every 277 microseconds.

I've noticed that the latency of this operation varies immensely. Most
of the time it completes in 50-80 microseconds, but there are occasions
when it takes several milliseconds (I've even logged 23 ms).

The pseudo-code looks like this:

   deadline = now;

   while ( 1 )
   {
     deadline += 277 µs
     sleep_until(deadline)
     t0 = now;
     write 1316 bytes to PCI device
     t1 = now;
     if (t1-t0 > 100 µs) scream & panic
   }

Relevant (?) information about the setup:

I'm running a PREEMPT_RT kernel with high-resolution timers.
(Specifically 2.6.20.7-rt8)
http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
HZ=100
The process is in SCHED_RR with priority 75.
The only "process" (?) with higher priority is posix_cpu_timer.
write() is implemented as an ioctl in the driver.
You might think that write() blocks when the buffers on the PCI board
are full, but I am 99.9% sure that the buffers are never full.

Here's my question:

When my process comes back from a write operation, and I find that I
have been blocked for more than X ms, can I call a function from a
system profiler (oprofile perhaps?) to know exactly where in the kernel
the CPU has been for the last X ms, and how much time has been spent in
each function, either sleeping or doing something?

Regards.