Date:	Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:07:08 -0700
From:	"David Schwartz" <davids@...master.com>
To:	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3

> Much as I hate to extend the life of this execrable thread, since I
> think Alexandre makes Sisyphus look like a hard-nosed pragmatist, it
> seems pretty clear that TiVO impinges "[my] freedom to run the
> program, for any purpose" if "any purpose" includes "make my TiVO do
> what I want," and likewise to "adapt it to [my] needs" -- freedoms 0
> and part of 1. It is just disingenuous to argue otherwise.
>
> Dave

The freedom to "run the program, for any purpose" is just as much violated
by Microsoft when they make the Xbox. You can't run the Linux kernel on that
either, for the exact same reasons you can't run a modified Linux kernel on
the Tivo. It is manifestly obvious that the "freedom to run the program for
any purpose" must be limited to those pieces of hardware where you are the
one who decides what hardware runs on that software. (And GPL rights were
always applicable equally to all hardware in the universe, not specially to
some hardware and not others.)

DS