Date:	Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:41:28 +0300
From:	Al Boldi <a1426z@...ab.com>
To:	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>
Cc:	Michal Piotrowski <michal.k.k.piotrowski@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: How to improve the quality of the kernel?

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 06:26:20AM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
> > Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > We are talking about _tracking_.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure whether it makes much sense, and it would cost an
> > > enormous amount of time, but tracking patches should be possible
> > > without any knowledge of the kernel.
> >
> > If that's really true, which I can't imagine, then the proper way
> > forward would probably involve a fully automated system.
>
> If you consider any kind of patch tracking valuable, you should either
> do it yourself or write the tool yourself. In both cases, the
> interesting parts would be how to integrate it into the workflow of
> kernel development without creating extra work for anyone and how to get
> the information into the got commits.

Integration is the easy part, really.  Just filter all the patches from the
mailing list into a patch-bin, then sort, categorize, and prioritize them,
responding with a validation status to all parties involved.

And after that comes the Tracking part.

> "requires a real PRO" and "would probably involve" sound like cheap
> phrases for avoiding doing any work yourself.

I have learned from this list that premature involvement is
counterproductive.

> Talk is cheap, but unless YOU will do it your emails will only be a
> waste of bandwidth.

Thanks, and good luck with involving people with this kind of response!

--
Al