Date:	Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:49:05 +0100
From:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
Cc:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	David Smith <dsmith@...hat.com>,
	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...ymtl.ca>,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 03/10] Allow userspace applications to use marker.h to
 parse the markers section in the kernel binary.

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:32:09 +0100
Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 10:25:15AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Getting the marker exports right is what is needed to avoid having an
> > unreliable parser and ending up with a reliable one.
> >
> > Or would you rather someone loaded a JVM into kernel space so it was
> > "shipped with the kernel"
>
> You're totall missing the point here.  We're talking about kernel internal
> interface, and the point for them has always been not to care about out
> of tree users.  There is no relation to anything involving a JVM here.

Of course there is Christoph.

If you have a system which generates and loads modules then they can't be
in tree (as they don't exist except transiently). On the other hand if it
outputs java byte codes then a JVM to process them can be in tree. It
would be a stupid solution to the problem but you appear to be objecting
to sane ones.

The system to create the dynamic modules could certainly be in-tree but to
argue that code dynamically created should be "in tree" already is a
bit silly really isn't it ?

A second way of point out your argument is totally and utterly bogus
would be the MODULE_ interface. The modutils are clearly out of tree
users.

So whats the difference between modutils and markers ? Would it suddenely
change if modutils developed modinfo --dump-markers ?

Alan