Date:	Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:52:53 +0400
From:	Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@...mvista.com>
To:	Linas Vepstas <linas@...tin.ibm.com>
Cc:	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] ide dma_timer_expiry, then hard lockup

Hello, I wrote:

>> I've got a hard lockup in the ide subsystem, probably
>> due to some irq spew or something like that.

>> I've just bought a brand new Maxtor 320GB disk driver for the insane
>> price of $70 US to replace another failing drive. It works well under
>> light load;
>> I was able to copy about 60GB to it. However, under heavy load, such
>> as reconstruction of an MD RAID-1 array, it'll lock up the kernel.
>> Which means
>> that my system won't boot :-(

>> I'm running 2.6.21.1, although the problem seems to occur in 2.6.19
>> and 2.6.18 too; its been there a while; I vageuly
>> remember similar problems in 2.6.5 or 2.6.10.

>    Ah... so you're saying that the old disk works OK, yet you've already
> observed alike behavior on other disks... That speaks against
> blacklisting the drive.

    I'm going to shortly post the patches blacklisting the drive and using the
proper HPT36x enablebits (as much as this stupid design may be fixed :-)...
Please test.

>> I can get the system to boot by sneaking in an "hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc"
>> early in the boot process, to turn off

>    Could probably do the same trick and specify the lower DMA speed by
> using -X n option (where n ranges from 64 to 70 for UltraDMA modes 0 to
> 6) and see if it changes anything...

    Note that for the hpt366.c driver, this is also achievable by setting
HPT366_ALLOW_ATA66_[34] to 0 and recompiling. It will limit its UltraDMA
capabilities to modes 2 or 3.

MBR, Sergei