Date:	Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:20:52 +0200
From:	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Dan Aloni <da-x@...atomic.org>,
	"Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>,
	Linux Kernel List <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] automatic CC generation for patch submission

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 09:32:05AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 13:47:52 +0300 Dan Aloni <da-x@...atomic.org> wrote:

> > > We already have that information in git.  Parse the git changelogs of the
> > > affected files, find out who works on them.
> >
> > I think it's quite complex to make a reliable inference of maintainership
> > information from git.
>
> Clever people will work it out.

I don't see how git could tell you to Cc net patches to
netdev@...r.kernel.org.

> > Given a set of historical modifiers of a file,
> > would you take the most common commiter(s), or the most common
> > _recent_ commiter(s), or what? It's a bit fuzzy.
>
> All the above?  Multiply frequency by recency, pick the top five?
>
> Doesn't matter much: the cost of picking too many is high.
>
> I shudder at the thought of manually maintaining anything like this.

Auke suggestion of an additional field in MAINTAINERS makes sense - and
it leaves it to the maintainers to maintain it similar to the other
information there.

Independent of whatever software Dan wants to write it would also solve
problems like the one that MAINTAINERS currently isn't really good in
telling e.g. who is maintaining drivers/net/wireless/.

> > Moreover, it is slow in comparison and assumes the availability of
> > local .git db, which wouldn't be the case for some porition of patch
> > submitters.
>
> a) precalculate the tables once per week
>
> b) the whole thing wouldn't succeed if it requires software at
>    patch-submitter's site.  It'd need to run at vger.

It might depend on what use cases you think of and whom you expect to
use it.

For me, a tool that simply tells me whom to Cc for a patch would be a
great tool.

What you suggest would be something completely different.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed