Date:	Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:04:28 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...sterfs.com>
To:	Mike Frysinger <vapier@...too.org>
Cc:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>, Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>,
	List util-linux-ng <util-linux-ng@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng 2.13-rc1

On Jul 05, 2007  12:41 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 July 2007, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Sorry, but it's really annoying to pull in a filesystem-specific devel
> > package for that.  Having a library is fine, but please move the library
> > into util-linux so it's always available without another dependency.
>
> ugh, moving libraries which are already actively maintained by other core
> projects into util-linux is so not a good idea (ignoring the fact that it'd
> easily be a pita/waste for distro maintainers)

Some distros (Debian and SuSE I think) split the e2fsprogs libraries
into separate packages so that you are not depending on "e2fsprogs",
but rather "libuuid" and/or "libblkid".

> > That way xfsprogs could for example drop it's own detection library aswell.
>
> i dont really think this is dependent on util-linux at all.  nothing is
> stopping xfsprogs from depending on udev or e2fsprogs now.

In fact, Eric Sandeen and I discussed splitting the xfsprogs "libdisk"
(or similar, it detects RAID geometry for DM/MD/etc) into a standalone
library so that e2fsprogs could use it.  The only issue is the increased
maintenance and packaging of separate libraries.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer