Date:	Mon, 09 Jul 2007 01:42:48 +0200
From:	Gabriel C <nix.or.die@...glemail.com>
To:	Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@...ma.Stanford.EDU>
CC:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@...bc.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	RT-Users <linux-rt-users@...r.kernel.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	"jcaceres@...ma.Stanford.EDU" <jcaceres@...ma.Stanford.EDU>,
	Carsten Emde <carsten.emde@...dl.org>
Subject: Re: v2.6.21.5-rt19

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>> Yes, it works much better indeed...
>>>
>>> Ingo: is there a place where I can read about the changes in different
>>> rtxx releases? What is new/better/fixed in rt20? (I see scheduler
>>> stuff in a diff from rt19 to rt20 but I don't really know what it
>>> means).
>>>
>> and rt18 was a -rt-only NOHZ fix, that bug got introduced in rt11 when
>> CFS was merged.
>>
>> i _think_ Rui might have seen two separate problems. Perhaps by the time
>> we fixed the first problem (which Rui saw since -rt2) we introduced the
>> other one via -rt11 - which then got fixed in -rt19.
>>

> Ahh, CFS is now part of rt, I was obviously not paying attention... I'm
> really trying to provide a "stable" rt kernel for audio usage and
> including another subsystem into rt is - IMHO - not going to help.
> What's the chance of splitting things?
>

>> btw., we'd love to get more feedback regarding CFS. CFS is a completely
>> new scheduler for Linux.
>>

> Then I'd rather have it separate from rt.
>

>> It has a design centered around keeping
>> application latencies down, so it is ultimately real-time friendly, and
>> it should also make things work better for desktop-ish and audio-ish
>> stuff as well. (even under SCHED_OTHER)
>>

> Maybe this is CFS related? (tail of a thread in the Planet CCRMA mailing
> list):
>
> On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 15:26 -0400, Hector Centeno wrote:
>
>> Ok, so just to confirm, that 2.6.21-0182.rt19.1.fc7.ccrmart works fine
>> on my desktop but on my laptop it makes Firefox and Tomboy to crash.
>> On the same laptop using 2.6.21-0182.rt17.1.fc7.ccrmart there is no
>> problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hector
>>

>> On 7/7/07, Hector Centeno <hcengar@...il.com> wrote:
>>         Hi Fernando,
>>
>>         I do have Flash installed but for me Firefox crashes when
>>         trying to
>>         access gmail (which AFAIK doesn't use Flash, does it?). Right
>>         now
>>         Firefox is frozen and I'm typing this email using Konkeror (in
>>         Gnome).
>>         This is ps' output:
>>
>>         hector    3595  1.1  2.2 194352 46336 ?        D    16:25
>>         0:03
>>         /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.4/firefox-bin
>>
>>         I think the problem is not present in my Desktop but I have to
>>         double
>>         check. In the same laptop using the stock fedora kernel both
>>         Tomboy
>>         and Firefox work fine. My laptop has a centrino duo processor,
>>         2 gigs
>>         of ram and the Inte GMA950 graphics chip.
>>
>>         Hector
>>

> I managed to completely hang firefox (fc7) with flash 9 installed
> (unkillable even with -9).

Firefox with flash 9 does not work good , there are a lot bugs reported
about ( just google ) and it hangs on vanilla or
whatever other kernels as well. Not only Firefox but also  Swiftfox,
Opera, Epiphany etc.

The most time Firefox dies when you use flash 9 and close a window or a tab.

>  Does not seem to happen with flash 7.

Yes flash 7 is fine.

>  Have
> not tried yet with gmail and flash uninstalled. I'll try to strace it to
> see when/why it hangs.
>

> -- Fernando
>

>> So it would be nice if you could keep an extra eye on any scheduling
>> artifacts or regressions, and make sure your favorite workload is still
>> handled by the Linux scheduler in the utmost best way. I'd like to hear
>> about any sort of "scheduling behavior / interactivity" regression you
>> might see, relative to the vanilla kernel. Or if you can see no such
>> problems then a line of "it works as well as the previous scheduler" is
>> important info to us too. Thanks!

Regards,

Gabriel C