Date:	Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:40:57 -0400
From:	lsorense@...lub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To:	Vijayakumar Subburaj <vijayakumar.subburaj@...il.com>
Cc:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Linux Kernel Story

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 06:57:41PM +0530, Vijayakumar Subburaj wrote:
> My first mail to lkml.
>
> I would like to know what happened to linux kernel from its 1.0.

A lot.

> I have gone through lkml faqs, and some of LDP documents. Thought that
> weekly lkml summary "Kernel Traffic" (http://www.kerneltraffic.org/)
> would be useful, but its not.
>
> Important linux kernel bugs, fixes that were available those bugs.
> Why one fix got chosen over other fixes, and related tradeoffs?
>
> Sorry, I am too lazy to go through entire lkml, or lk usenet postings.
>
> Are there any documents in web? How I should proceed? where I have to
> start with?

It might be possible to get some overview as to when major things were
added like when PCI support came, when each architecture was added, when
USB, firewire, scsi and various other sub systems got in, when major
replacements were done to the VM system and such.

Of course I doubt anyone wants to do the work, since the most
interesting thing is what the current kernel supports.

How about asking what happened from Windows 1.0 to today.  How would you
answer that question?  Should it also include the history of DOS from
1.0 to the current version of windows?  Should it also include the
history of CP/M?

It really is a silly question to ask that is much too vague.

--
Len Sorensen