Date:	Fri, 13 Jul 2007 01:03:57 +0200
From:	Rene Herman <rene.herman@...il.com>
To:	Chris Wright <chrisw@...s-sol.org>
CC:	Nish Aravamudan <nish.aravamudan@...il.com>,
	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	stable@...nel.org
Subject: Re: [stable] Linux 2.6.22.1

On 07/12/2007 08:52 PM, Chris Wright wrote:

> Nish, I think you might be the only user ;-)  I never figured out a nice
> way to do this w/out having a coherency issue (well, triggers aside).
> Ideally git would allow for something more transparent than alternatives,
> actual moving view to another tree.  It's possible with links, but that
> seems just dirty.  Short of that, do folks find the tree useful?  If so,
> I can work on some better automation to keep it up-to-date.

I tried this tree a while ago but at the time it had a problem with tags
(http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/14/177). I just recloned and see that's now
fixed...

I'm rolling my own since then though. Not sure, but perhaps it's interesting
to someone: when Linus tags a release from his repo I branch of the -stable
branch myself:

$ git checkout -b v22 v2.6.22

and then (following advice from Junio Hamano) add the following stanza to
.git/config:

===
[branch "v22"]
         remote = linux-2.6.22.y
         merge = refs/heads/master
[remote "linux-2.6.22.y"]
         url =
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.22.y.git
         fetch = refs/heads/master
===

(the url = is one line, but is wrapping).

When on this v22 branch, a simple "git pull" then updates from the stable
tree. It's been working nicely for me. The manual .git/config editing is a
little awkard perhaps but for all I know I could do so via some well-chosen
git commands.

Rene.