Date:	Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:58:25 -0400
From:	"Gregory Haskins" <ghaskins@...ell.com>
To:	<mingo@...e.hu>, <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:	<jim.houston@...r.com>, <joe.korty@...r.com>, <dwalker@...sta.com>,
	"David Bahi" <DBahi@...ell.com>,
	"Moiz Kohari" <MKohari@...ell.com>,
	"Sven Dietrich" <SDietrich@...ell.com>, <dsaxena@...xity.net>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-rt-users@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Forward port of latest RT patch (2.6.21.5-rt20) to 2.6.22
	available

Hi Ingo, Thomas, and the greater linux-rt community,

	I just wanted to let you guys know that our team has a port of the
21.5-rt20 patch for the 2.6.22 kernel available.  It in no way should be
construed as a substitute for the forthcoming official release from the
RT community.  We are submitting it now in hopes it will be useful to
someone in the interim, even if only for reference for the official
porting effort (since we have resolved numerous issues that were
introduced in the new vanilla code since 21 already).  We hope to rebase
to Ingo's offical patch once it is available.

	As a caveat, I'm sure there are numerous errors which were introduced
by a combination of unnoticed patch fuzz, human error, etc.  But we do
have it building and running pretty reliably on a number of 2-way,
4-way, and 8-way x86_64 SMP systems here in our lab with various
configurations.  It yields very impressive cyclic-test results with our
reference PREEMPT_RT config (see attached) so we know that generally the
port went ok.

	There is some fallout that occurred related to some slob changes
between rc1-rc2 that we could probably use some feedback on.  I have
attached a file (problem-patches.txt) that lists the names/commit-ids of
some of the patches that we know to be problematic from bisecting.
There is also a cheesy hack in fs/buffer.c that is probably just plain
wrong, but we are still trying to find a good way to fix an issue with
the IDE driver.

	Note also that we find that the resulting kernel does not boot on some
T60p thinkpads without "acpi=off".  We are still investigating the root
cause here.

You can find the patch available here:
ftp://ftp.novell.com/dev/patch-2.6.22-rt1

Best Regards,
-Greg

------
Gregory Haskins <ghaskins@...ell.com>
Linux Solutions Group
Novell

View attachment "rt.config" of type "text/plain" (67059 bytes)

View attachment "problem-patches.txt" of type "text/plain" (1042 bytes)