Date:	Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:48:37 +0530
From:	"Satyam Sharma" <satyam.sharma@...il.com>
To:	"Timo Lindemann" <tlindemann@...or.de>
Cc:	"David Brownell" <david-b@...bell.net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: kernel hang in ohci init

On 7/15/07, Timo Lindemann <tlindemann@...or.de> wrote:
> David Brownell wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 July 2007, Satyam Sharma wrote:
> >
> > Note that hangs in that file almost always mean "your BIOS is goofy".
> > Hunt for BIOS settings related to USB, and change them.
> This laptop's BIOS only offers "legacy support" enabled or disabled,
> both of which lead to frozen kernel. I will investigate whether the GIT
> tree freezes at the same point.

Perhaps you could try updating your BIOS, if possible / applicable (?)

> > Does the current kernel.org GIT tree do the same thing?  A bunch
> > of USB patches were recently merged, including ISTR one in that
> > area ...
> It does the same thing, git5, that is. Sorry I took so long, but I didnt
> get to testing this earlier.
>
> It is just odd that up to (not including) the 2.6.21-series every kernel
> boots, and after that, they just freeze.
>
> I am kinda stumped here.

Hey, just try git-bisect already :-)

In fact, you can first try by just reverting / un-applying that patch that
you initially had a suspicion on. Or, because you've already spent
some time tracking down the issue, you could simply go through the
git history of that file / subsystem in question and play around reverting
individual patches that you find suspicious -- but really, there's no need
to try and be cute with this: you could simply do a git-bisect (say
between 2.6.20 and 2.6.21) and find the offending patch (or at least the
one that un-hides the bug) that makes the boot fail ...

[ BTW you haven't sent your dmesg / boot-time output ... if it isn't
getting saved to disk, you could try serial / netconsole, copy it by
hand, or simply take a photo and post it here. ]

Cheers,
Satyam