Date:	Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:03:02 -0700
From:	"Li, Tong N" <tong.n.li@...el.com>
To:	"Adrian Bunk" <bunk@...sta.de>
Cc:	"Giuseppe Bilotta" <giuseppe.bilotta@...il.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: Re: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] PlugSched-6.5.1 for  2.6.22

There are various metrics a scheduler may want to optimize for, such as
throughput, response time, power consumption, fairness, and so on. Each
of these may also be defined differently in different environments. Take
fairness as an example. People have traditionally talked about it in
terms of CPU time. Now it'd also make sense to talk about scheduling
that enables fair usage of other types of resources, such as shared
caches. Different metrics may require different scheduling policies.
Plus, many metrics may in fact conflict, e.g., a scheduling policy
optimized for throughput may not be power efficient. As a result, Linux,
and all general-purpose OSes, strive to achieve a balance, but it's
conceivable that different hardware platforms and different application
workloads may want to have different scheduling policies to meet their
own needs.

Given that the scheduling policies can be diverse, the mechanisms to
enforce them can also be different. The per-cpu runqueue model may be
best for many scenarios, some scheduling policies (like many real-time
ones) might want global knowledge about all tasks in the system and thus
prefer a global task queue at the cost of being less scalable and
cache-efficient. HPC systems may also want to gang-schedule. And, in
terms of implementation, O(1) might be desirable for large-scale MP
systems while O(log N) might be good enough for small systems. These are
just examples that indicate the scheduler data structures, algorithms,
and implementation can have a variety of possibilities in different
usage models. A single scheduler that is easily extensible for
incorporating different policies would be ideal, but IMO this is not yet
the case and may not even be possible. Therefore, I think having a
framework that enables multiple schedulers to co-exist would be
invaluable and PlugSched seems to be one good step towards this.

  tong