Date:	Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:53:09 -0700
From:	Lee Howard <faxguy@...ardsilvan.com>
To:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
CC:	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>, linux-serial@...r.kernel.org,
	tytso@....edu, rmk@....linux.org.uk, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: serial flow control appears broken

Alan Cox wrote:

>>Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 8 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
>>ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>>ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>>
>>It's a Shuttle HOT-661 motherboard (VIA Apollo Pro Plus mainboard
>>chipset).  Both FreeBSD and Linux identify the serial chipset type as
>>16550A.
>>

>So you've got 16bytes of buffering. That ought to be enough on a modern
>PC. The older kernels use quite limited internal buffers which may be a
>factor, the current ones have a rewritten tty buffering layer which may
>improve matters enormously.

So, does this explain why I wouldn't have a problem at 115200 bps with
kernel 2.2.5 but why I do with 2.6.5 and 2.6.18?  Both hardware and
software flow control work fine with 2.2.5 (meaning I don't see any
error message and I don't have any data corruption), but neither works
to avoid the "kernel: ttyS1: 1 input overrun(s)" and consequent data
corruption issue in 2.6.5 nor 2.6.18.

Was there some associated application change in tty handling that needed
to occur between the 2.2 and 2.6 kernels to properly implement flow control?

Thanks,

Lee.