Date:	Sat, 28 Jul 2007 19:10:54 -0400
From:	"Adam Kropelin" <akropel1@...hester.rr.com>
To:	"Andrew Morton" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Nick Pasich" <NewsLetters@...kAndBarb.net>,
	<linux-usb-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>
Cc:	"Greg Kroah-Hartman" <greg@...ah.com>,
	"Al Borchers" <alborchers@...inerpoint.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Peter Berger" <pberger@...mson.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-usb-devel] Edgeport UPS Monitoring Problems

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:37:08 -0700
> Nick Pasich <NewsLetters@...kAndBarb.net> wrote:
>

>> Greg/Peter/Al,
>
> added linux-usb-devel.
>
>> I've been using the edgeport 4 port USB to Serial Converter
>> to monitor APC Smart UPS's via apcupsd for quite awhile on
>> various Linux boxes.
>>
>> I just upgraded to Kernel Version 2.6.22.1 from 2.6.20.6 on a
>> couple of systems and both the edgeports stopped communicating.
>>
>> I tried applying various patches, "PATCH 026/149" and "PATCH 082/149"
>> and one by Alan Cox..  but they didn't fix the problem.
>>
>> I copied the 2.6.20.6 edgeport module sources to the new
>> 2.6.22.1 tree and everything works again.
>>
>>           linux/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.c
>>           linux/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.h
>>           linux/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.mod.c
>>           linux/drivers/usb/serial/io_tables.h
>
> Straightforward regression, most serious.  Thanks for reporting it.

I don't know much of anything about usb-serial, but I'll take a whack at
it. Could you enable debug for that driver, launch apcupsd, and report
any intersting messages that show up in dmesg? I'd be especially
interested in any "Not setting..." or "Not writing..." messages, because
some critical-looking code for baud rate setting and similar became
conditional in 2.6.22.1 whereas it was always executed before. Apcupsd
is going to be rather unhappy if the baud rate doesn't change when it
asks. The debug should show if the these operations are being ignored on
your hw.

--Adam