Date:	Wed, 1 Aug 2007 00:21:41 +0200
From:	Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>
To:	Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@...cle.com>
Cc:	Miklos Szeredi <miklos@...redi.hu>, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, sfrench@...ba.org,
	trond.myklebust@....uio.no, mark.fasheh@...cle.com,
	kurt.hackel@...cle.com
Subject: Re: request for patches: showing mount options

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:19:57AM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
> The removal of /etc/mtab in favor of /proc/mounts is a new requirement,
> and is not as trivial as you might hope.  Internally the NFS client
> represents the mount options as a binary data structure, and it contains
> only the information that has traditionally been passed into the kernel
> by the current mount command.  The user-space-only options are not
> passed to the kernel nor stored in the data structure.
>
> Adding facilities to store information about every possible mount
> option, including the user-space-only ones, will take a bit of time, but
> is possible, if not straightforward.  We just have to understand all the
> dependencies.

 I still have doubts. The removal of /etc/mtab is nice, but a little
 unreal wish. Do we really want to store non-kernel data (options) in
 kernel? What about options that are not closely related to any
 filesystem -- for example "loop="?

 Maybe we can replace /etc/mtab with something more useful
 (e.g. /var/run/mount/<mntid>.tab) for really user-space-only information.

 It doesn't mean that Miklos's audit of all filesystems and request
 for patches is bad thing. The /proc/mounts has to provide complete
 information at least about kernel mount options.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@...hat.com>