Date:	Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:33:31 -0700
From:	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...otime.net>
To:	"Dave Young" <hidave.darkstar@...il.com>
Cc:	"Dave Jones" <davej@...emonkey.org.uk>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: two questions about the boot_delay

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 07:39:33 +0000 Dave Young wrote:

> Hi,
> I have tried the "slow down printk" , and I have two questions.
>
> 1. why it depends the DEBUG_KERNEL? Sometimes we only need boot_delay
> to see the printk infomations.  How about set it as a standalone
> config option?

Is depending on DEBUG_KERNEL a problem?  If so, why?

It sure seems like a kernel debug option to me, although
I have no strong preference pro or con on this.

> 2. In My system if I boot with boot_delay=200 the early part of
> booting will be very slow, eapecially at the very beginning (after the
> compressing  and start kernel, it nearly stop here many minutes).
>
> And I wonder if we can simply use mdelay in the boot_delay_msec(). I
> tested the mdelay , and the result is more accurate.

I wasn't convinced that loops_per_jiffy was always set for all
architectures that early during boot.  Did you audit and verify that
it is set early enough to use during boot_delay_msec()?
and if so, for all architectures?
What architectures did you test this on?

---
~Randy