Date:	Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:04:21 -0400
From:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To:	Susanne Oberhauser <froh@...ell.com>
Cc:	Jan Blunck <jblunck@...e.de>,
	opensuse-kernel@...nsuse.org, opensuse@...nsuse.org
Subject: Re: Testing the Current Upstream Kernel

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:28:34 +0200, Susanne Oberhauser said:
> Jan Blunck <jblunck@...e.de> writes:
>
> > With our openSUSE Build Service we build a daily kernel, where we take
> > nightly snapshots of the current upstream development kernel (Linus' kernel
> > tree linux-2.6.git) without any patches (besides those we need for building a
> > RPM).  We do call this the vanilla kernel. It can be downloaded from:
> >
> >  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/Vanilla/SUSE_Factory/
>
> Would it make sense to build it for the other distros as well?  like
> debian, fedora and mandrake?  I mena in _theory_ we could build it for
> those distros in the build server, couldn't we?

Most of the distros prefer a chance to add their own "Special Sauce" to it
before building, and building inside their build environment (for instance,
Fedora RPM's get PGP-signed - *that* would be a trust issue right there).

The current Fedora Rawhide kernel is 'kernel-2.6.23-0.105.rc3.fc8', and a few
RPMs ago it was based against -rc2-git5, so they track *very* close.  I think
that crew is managing well enough without help from the kernel.org build
server.