Date:	Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:35:05 +0200
From:	Clemens Koller <clemens.koller@...gramm.de>
To:	"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@...dspring.com>
CC:	shaneed cm <just4kernel@...il.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: OT: Re: request for Linux kernel related project ideas

Robert P. J. Day schrieb:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:
>
>> shaneed cm schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>> This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
>>>  I am Computer Science Engineering final year student.  We have to do
>>> a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
>>> decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
>>> memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
>>> in Linux clusters.  Last year we did a study of Linux's page
>>> replacement mechanism.  As I am not experienced as you people, please
>>> suggest me some ideas.
>> Just for an example:
>> Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
>> suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
>> a kernel scheduler to support it.
>
> i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving anyone
> suggestions for projects.

I don't care so much. The answer should have been a hint that
just some minutes ago, we had a thread on this list about
Solid State Flash disks... it could be interesting to
spend some brain cells in that area - just for an example
...and there are so many.

 >  the eventual choice of project should be
> based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people tell him he
> should be doing.

Propably he doesn't know yet what he wants?

> in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school project
> involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*.  what
> shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him.  IMHO, he
> should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic is *his*
> problem.  that's just part of the academic process.

Asking people with more experience what's needed is in my point
of view also a reasonably academic process to make progress in the
right direction. IMHO that's one of the main reasons why
open projects work.

Regards,
--
Clemens Koller