Date:	Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:59:18 +0200
From:	Martin Vogt <vogt@...m.fraunhofer.de>
To:	reiserfs-devel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: fs corruption by doing nothing

Hello,

this bug report describes the following scenario:

- Insert a Knoppix 5.1.1 CD
  into a fileserver with a clean reiserfs system and
  Knoppix completely destroys the reiser filesystem on the fileserver,
  just by booting Knoppix.

Its unclear if this is a knoppix bug, but reiserfs
simply tries to "correct something" which is wrong.

>ReiserFS: sda2: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
>ReiserFS: sda2: using ordered data mode
>ReiserFS: sda2: warning: sh-461: journal_init: wrong transaction max size
>(144767). Changed to 1024

^^^^^^^^^^here

>ReiserFS: sdb2: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
>ReiserFS: sdb2: using ordered data mode
>ReiserFS: sdb2: warning: sh-461: journal_init: wrong transaction max size
>(144767). Changed to 1024

^^^^^^^^^^here

After that the filesystem is completely broken.

The setup:

The fileserver is a mirror raid, two drives:

>DEVICE /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
>ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 devices=/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1 name=0
>UUID=bd639458:60844c49:38db9f1f:61e51054
>ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 devices=/dev/sda2,/dev/sdb2 name=1
>UUID=016fdb8b:4d1e2ba7:9734a5c9:f4e84a24

So knoppix should _not_ identify the drives in the fstab
(1. Error)
fstab:
># Added by KNOPPIX
>/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
># Added by KNOPPIX
>/dev/sda2 /media/sda2 reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
># Added by KNOPPIX
>/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
># Added by KNOPPIX
>/dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2 reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0

And reiserfs should not try to correct something, without
even issuing a mount command.
(2. Error)
>ReiserFS: sda2: warning: sh-461: journal_init: wrong transaction max size
>(144767). Changed to 1024
>ReiserFS: sdb2: warning: sh-461: journal_init: wrong transaction max size
>(144767). Changed to 1024

This is the history of what I typed:

root@...ppix:/# history
    1  mdrun
    2  modprobe raid1
    3  mdrun
    4  vgscan
    5  vgchange -a y
    6  mkdir /newroot
    7  mount /dev/system3/slash /newroot/

1: failed because the raid1 driver was missing
The other commands then bring up the root device,
but a chroot to /newroot fails. (filesystem completely
broken)

Is this bug reproducible?
No.

I did the same procedure today for, I think 6 times or so,
this did all work. (same machine, clean raid,lvm,reiserfs)
I had this bug some weeks ago on another fileserver, with
different hardware. I thought, well ok. But now its
on this hardware the same, so there is really something
broken.

>Linux Knoppix 2.6.19 #7 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 17 22:01:07 CET 2006 i686
>GNU/Linux

I had on this machine software irq lockups, which were gone
after a BIOS update and disable hyperthreading and L3 cache.
So maybe its preempt related too?

Even if knoppix should not be used as a rescue/live CD, then
the reiserfs module should not try to correct something,
this should be done by another tool.(fsck.reiserfs or a module option...)

Well ok, the obvious workaround is not to use reiserfs
in a setup md->lvm->reiserfs.
Does XFS or ext3 has such problems?

(dmesg as attachement)

regards,

Martin

View attachment "dmesg.txt" of type "text/plain" (22845 bytes)