Date:	Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:00:06 -0400
From:	Josef Sipek <jsipek@....cs.sunysb.edu>
To:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...putergmbh.de>
Cc:	sparclinux@...r.kernel.org,
	parisc-linux@...isc-linux.org
Subject: Re: errno codes intertwined

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 06:24:48PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> If a file does not have the requested attribute, the syscall will
> produce ENODATA. On x86_64, that is mapped to the value 61. Back on the
> sparc side, 61 is mapped to ECONNREFUSED, and that gives odd errors
> when ls tries to query xattrs:

I'd think that passing the raw error code is a bad idea, and that you
probably want to have your own set of codes that you use in the trasport and
map value to/from the host's errno values.

> the values are exactly swapped (mips is another oddball not portrayed
> here). Since these header files propagate into /usr/include, this
> affects userspace programs too.

Yep, and it kind of sucks.

> So I'm just asking: can I rely on the same errno across Linuxes?

I wouldn't - Linux on different different architectures seems to have
different errno codes.

> And should the errno values be fixed up?

It would break userspace :-/

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek.

--
*NOTE: This message is ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra protection*