Date:	Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:54:14 -0700
From:	David Brownell <david-b@...bell.net>
To:	Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@...y.org>
Cc:	Tony Jones <tonyj@...e.de>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 09/14] Convert from class_device to device for SPI

On Thursday 23 August 2007, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 14:03 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Tony Jones wrote:
> > > I believe this is the necessary documentation changes.
> >
> > Thanks.  I have an update, plus updates for the mmc_spi
> > driver (now in MM) which you didn't update.
> >
> > By the way, it's worth noting an incompatibility introduced
> > through these conversions and CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=n:

> >  - now, /sys/class/spi_master/spi2 is a symlink to
> >    .../controller/spi_master (with DEPRECATED=n).
>
> Ugh! Are you sure, that is doesn't point to:
>   .../controller/spi_master/spi2/ ?

Turns out that it does -- once you tell Minicom to change its
bogus default of discarding data rather than line wrapping!
Which means there can still be multiple class instances that
get coupled to a given physical device; no lossage there.

Sigh.  It's hard sometimes to remember to apply all the
right bug workarounds, when some of them are in userspace.

Still, that's a needless incompatibility.  Why isn't that
pointing to a .../controller/spi_master:spi2 directory,
so that the pathnames don't change (only symlink polarity)?

- Dave