Date:	Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:48:53 +0400
From:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...sign.ru>
To:	Cliff Wickman <cpw@....com>, Paul Jackson <pj@....com>,
	Paul Menage <menage@...gle.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Gautham R Shenoy <ego@...ibm.com>,
	Srivatsa Vaddagiri <vatsa@...ibm.com>
Subject: cpusets vs cpu-hotplug interaction is broken?

(cpu-hotplug experts cc'ed)

On 08/25, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> After the brief look at kernel/cpuset.c, it seems that attach_task() should
> guarantee that the task can't use CPUs outside of cpuset->cpus_allowed.
>
> But this looks racy wrt sched_setaffinity() which does
>
> 	cpus_allowed = cpuset_cpus_allowed(p);
> 	// callback_mutex is free
> 	set_cpus_allowed(p);
>
> What if attach_task()->set_cpus_allowed() happens in between?

Actually, I think there is another problem, and cpuset_cpus_allowed() is
just broken wrt CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU.

Suppose that CONFIG_CPUSETS is true, but we don't use cpusets. In that
case all tasks in system belong to the top_cpuset (btw, why cpuset_init()
sets init_task.cpuset? this was already done by cpuset_init_early()), and
we should have the same behaviour as without CONFIG_CPUSETS.

By default, all tasks have ->cpus_allowed = CPU_MASK_ALL inherited from
kernel_init(). This means that the task can use the new CPU right after
cpu_up().

Now let's suppose that some task does sched_setaffinity(0, CPU_MASK_ALL).
In that case, cpuset_cpus_allowed() sets ->cpus_allowed = cpu_online_map,
and I think this is just wrong. Now that task doesn't see the new CPUs.

Of course, we have the similar problem with cpusets other than top_cpuset.

In short, unless I missed something, top_cpuset.cpus_allowed should be
cpu_possible_map, guarantee_online_cpus() shouldn't mix "allowed" and
"online" masks.

Oleg.