Date:	Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:12:28 -0400
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Clemens Koller <clemens.koller@...gramm.de>,
	shaneed cm <just4kernel@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject:  Re: request for Linux kernel related project ideas

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:
>
>> shaneed cm schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>> This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
>>>  I am Computer Science Engineering final year student.  We have to do
>>> a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
>>> decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
>>> memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
>>> in Linux clusters.  Last year we did a study of Linux's page
>>> replacement mechanism.  As I am not experienced as you people, please
>>> suggest me some ideas.
>> Just for an example:
>> Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
>> suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
>> a kernel scheduler to support it.
>
> i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving anyone
> suggestions for projects.  the eventual choice of project should be
> based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people tell him he
> should be doing.

He shouldn't do research to find out what would be useful, just
something of interest to him? He listed some areas in which he has an
interest, he got a suggestion on where he look for a project, not a
project description handed to him.

> in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school project
> involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*.  what
> shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him.  IMHO, he
> should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic is *his*
> problem.  that's just part of the academic process.

I agree that "pick something interesting, useful or not" is a part of
the academic process, but I would never imply that it was a desirable
thing. Asking for areas where work would be useful seems like valid
research to me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>