Date:	Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:48:16 +0200
From:	Rene Herman <rene.herman@...il.com>
To:	Chuck Ebbert <cebbert@...hat.com>
CC:	keith.packard@...el.com, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Al Boldi <a1426z@...ab.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Dave Airlie <airlied@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: CFS review

On 08/30/2007 06:06 PM, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> On 08/29/2007 03:56 PM, Rene Herman wrote:

>> Before people focuss on software rendering too much -- also with 1.3.0
>> (and a Matrox Millenium G550 AGP, 32M) glxgears also works decidedly
>> crummy using hardware rendering. While I can move the glxgears window
>> itself, the actual spinning wheels stay in the upper-left corner of the
>> screen and the movement leaves a non-repainting trace on the screen.
>> Running a second instance of glxgears in addition seems to make both
>> instances unkillable -- and when I just now forcefully killed X in this
>> situation (the spinning wheels were covering the upper left corner of
>> all my desktops) I got the below.
>>
>> Kernel is 2.6.22.5-cfs-v20.5, schedule() is in the traces (but that may
>> be expected anyway).

> And this doesn't happen at all with the stock scheduler? (Just confirming,
> in case you didn't compare.)

I didn't compare -- it no doubt will. I know the title of this thread is
"CFS review" but it turned into Keith Packard noticing glxgears being broken
on recent-ish X.org. The start of the thread was about things being broken
using _software_ rendering though, so I thought it might be useful to
remark/report glxgears also being quite broken using hardware rendering on
my setup at least.

>> BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
>> 00000010
>>  printing eip:
>> c10ff416
>> *pde = 00000000
>> Oops: 0000 [#1]
>> PREEMPT
>
> Try it without preempt?

If you're asking in a "I'll go debug the DRM" way I'll go dig a bit later
(please say) but if you are only interested in the thread due to CFS, note
that I'm aware it's not likely to have anything to do with CFS.

It's not reproducable for you? (full description of bug above).

Rene.