Date:	Mon, 03 Sep 2007 17:40:42 +0400
From:	Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@...mvista.com>
To:	John Sigler <linux.kernel@...e.fr>
Cc:	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
 Error }

Hello.

John Sigler wrote:

>>> When my system boots, I get several set_drive_speed_status errors.
>>> (Please see attached dmesg output.)

>>> Can someone explain what they mean? How do I get rid of them?

>>    IDE code attempts to autotune PIO mode and fails at that because
>> your device is too old (or its manufacturer was too lazy) to support
>> ATA-2 (or EIDE from marketing PoV) is its full glory.

> But the data sheet seems to state the drive supports PIO modes 1 and 2?

    So what? PIO mode != ATA spec version. ATA-1 specified modes 0 thru 2.

>>> Is there something I need to set in the config? or something I should
>>> not have set?

>>    No, it just means that the IDE code is *too young* to support such
>> pre-EIDE devices. :-D

> Wow! This is a device that was purchased only a few months ago...

    I think we'll take care of it soon -- as I said we've discovered pre-EIDE
disk support lately, just before your report...

>>> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
>>> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
>>> idebus=xx
>>> VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:07.1
>>> VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
>>> VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>>> VP_IDE: VIA vt82c686b (rev 40) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci0000:00:07.1
>>>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd000-0xd007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
>>>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd008-0xd00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
>>> Probing IDE interface ide0...
>>> hda: PQI IDE DiskOnModule, ATA DISK drive
>>> hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
>>> Error }
>>> hda: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>>> hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
>>> Error }
>>> hda: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

>>   That means that you've managed to find pre-EIDE/ATA hardware which
>> doesn't support setting arbitrary PIO modes. What's funny is that
>> recently being discussed here, so expect a patch RSN. :-)

> In 2.6.23?

    Yeah, hopefully.
    The mode interesting question is how to diable IORDY throrling on host if
a device doesn't have it connected (that was addressed by Alan in libata, IIRC.

> Regards.

MBR as well. :-)