Date:	Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:51:50 +0200
From:	Felix Homann <fexpop@...inehome.de>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>
Subject: Re: Regressions w.r.t. suspend behaviour in recent kernel versions

Andrew Morton wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:42:55 +0200 Felix Homann <fexpop@...inehome.de> wrote:
>
> Nearly two weeks, zero replies.

Thanks for caring :-)

>> Aug  9 00:22:13 jawaka kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered
>> data mode.
>> Aug  9 00:22:13 jawaka kernel: WARNING: at kernel/irq/resend.c:70
>> check_irq_resend()
>
> I expect that got fixed in later kernels.

Yes, I've just tried 2.6.23-rc5-git1 and the warning has gone!

>> Without the nolapic option the kernel will panic when trying to suspend
>> to disk.
>
> A *large* number of people need noapic or nolapic to get Linux to work.

Even better, on 2.6.23-rc5-git1 I don't need nolapic anymore!

>> Here are the last lines of the kernel output:
>>
>> EIP: [<c01127fd> lapic_nmi_suspend+0x1d/0x30 ss:ESP 0068:c1ae3ec8
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> Are you able to provide us with more information about this bug?

If you're still interested in more more information now that the bug has
apparently been solved "en passant" I can take a photograph tomorrow.
Please, let me know.

>> With more recent kernels the system will hang with
>> "Suspending console(s)".
>
> My Vaio reliably hangs at the same place with 2.6.23-rc4.  I'll bisect that
> next week sometime.  Hopefully the result of that effort will fix your bug.
>  Please test Linus's tree regularly and don't let us release 2.6.23 until
> it is fixed.

Great!

>> 3. Even with the 2.6.18 kernel sound won't work after suspending to ram.
>> I don't know when this started, but I know that this has not been an
>> issue in the past.
>
> Please provide full details in a separate bug report.  Send that report to
> myself, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Jaroslav Kysela <perex@...e.cz> and
> Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>

I'll do that in the next couple of days.

Thanks again,

Felix