Date:	Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:12:07 +0200
From:	Stef Epardaud <stef@...rdaud.net>
To:	"Michael B. Trausch" <mike@...usch.us>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [OT] Ubuntu GG 2.6.22 (Was: Re: Filesystem silent crash with EXT3)

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 09:52:53AM -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> (I am cc:ing the list so that this person does not get several multiple
> replies.  Also, I am making the assumption, Stef, that you are not
> running a vanilla kernel that you built yourself from the kernel sources
> and that you are running the Ubuntu stock kernel.)

You're right.

> Please go to #ubuntu+1 on irc.freenode.net for issues with your Ubuntu
> Gutsy Gibbon prerelease system.  For starters, the kernel that comes
> with Ubuntu is not the vanilla Linux kernel, it has patches and added
> and removed things to it---like nearly all distribution kernels.

Sorry, I did not realise there was a more appropriate place. It won't
happen again :)

> Secondly, the Gutsy Gibbon is not yet released for public consumption.
> It is in a prerelease state, and as such, if you're running it, and you
> encounter issues, please file bugs with Ubuntu
> (http://www.launchpad.net/), where they will be far more receptive to
> such information.  However, they will not directly support you---you
> chose to run a prerelease system; they'll tell you that if it breaks
> your system you get to keep all the pieces.  Once the Gibbon is
> released, though, you can use it with the backing of the regular Ubuntu
> community and it will be supported.
> That having been said, you may not want to run prerelease software that
> is known to be unstable if you don't have the time (or the ability) to
> troubleshoot and file a detailed bug report during the prerelease state.

It's not so much that I am complaining, I didn't ask anyone to help me
recover my data either. I just wanted to see if there was something I
could do to find an eventual problem, so that it could be fixed.

Thanks for your pointers though.
--
Stéphane Epardaud