Date:	Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:33:28 -0600
From:	Chris Rigg <cdrigg@...cast.net>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: CFS patch (v6) -- dynamic RT priorities?

Hello,

I have a system with 2.6.20.7 patched with the v6 CFS patch. I am having
issues (I believe) with fairness in regards to my real-time tasks.
First, let me describe my setup:

* I use the kernel preemption config option.
* I am using an Intel Xeon with Hyperthreading enabled (and using the
SMP config option)
* I have 2 kernel modules -- one that is a device driver (receives
interrupts from a device) but also spawns a thread for processing
messages from kernel module 2. Kernel module 2 controls the hardware and
receives messages from the driver via a message ring. It also puts
messages into a separate ring to control the hardware through the
hardware. I have 4 different threads spawned when I insmod this module.
The 4 threads (call them control threads) all do the same thing (i.e.
there is a thread associated with each port on the device). The threads
will get messages from the driver on behalf of their port and send
control messages back to their port through the driver's message ring,
etc. This may sound complicated but really all I'm doing is abstracting
out the details of controlling the hardware from the control threads and
provide a simple interface (the message rings) for controlling the
hardware and receiving events from it.
* I have given the 4 control threads and the 1 device driver "receive
message" thread MAX_RT_PRIO - 1 priority (with a call to
sched_setscheduler(...).
* As I stated earlier, I use a set of kfifo message rings to communicate
between a control thread and the driver. When the control thread puts a
message into the ring for the driver thread, he calls "up()" on a
semaphore that the driver exported. When the driver puts a message into
the ring for the control thread, he too calls "up()" on a different
semaphore exported by the control thread.
* I expect all 5 threads to be the highest priority tasks in the system
and ALWAYS be scheduled if they are ready (provided that another one of
my 5 RT prio threads isn't already running or is further ahead in the
queue).

Ok, so far, I have described my basic setup. Hopefully I'm not doing
anything out of the ordinary here.

Now, for the problem....

When I have 3 of the 4 control threads running at a very high frequency
of interrupts (and hence a high volume/high frequency of "up()"s on the
sync semaphore when the driver puts a message into the control thread's
ring), it appears that the priority of the 3 are somehow getting
"elevated" by the scheduler? (Even though I set them to all have equal
priority of MAX_RT_PRIO.) Is there a dynamic priority factoring in that
I'm not aware of? Is the scheduler looking at the frequency of 'up()'s
for that task and sees that they have been scheduled a lot and somehow
gives them a higher priority over my 4th control thread that isn't
getting as high a frequency of 'up()'s or something?? My notion of a
real-time, fair, scheduler would be to have a queue for highest priority
threads and when a thread is ready to run, it is put into the queue and
serviced when its at the front of the queue. What it seems like I'm
seeing is the 3 control threads that get a high frequency of 'ups()' on
their semaphore get moved to the FRONT of the ready queue? The bottom
line for me is that I end up missing protocol deadlines for my 4th
control thread even though the driver is servicing interrupts and
subsequently putting 'event' message into the ring for the control
thread in plenty of time. But for some reason, the scheduler doesn't get
around to scheduling it until its scheduled the other 3 MANY, MANY times.

Does this seem right? Is there away I can disable dynamic priority
calculation (if that is what's going on here) for my RT threads so they
are all treated equally at ALL times?

Or is there a "problem" with using semaphores for signaling between
kernel threads like I'm doing? This technique is preferred in VXWorks
but maybe I shouldn't be using it in Linux?

Anyway, any help you could provide would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris